The life of the blind students at the Darushifa Govt. School for Blind inspired Mr.Anil Kumar Dubba and Mr.Srikanth Poomar, the CIQ employees and GVD leaders, to reach out to them and reform their lives. The school is located near the Salar Jung Museum and is around 27 kms from the CIQ Hyderabad office.
The Darushifa school had basic infrastructure, but was in need of renovation work that would make the lives of the students more comfortable and convenient. On Monday, July 10th 2011, a GVD team of 32 members visited the school and involved in renovation work from morning to evening.
The GVD team revamped the sanitation facilities, arranged a soak-pit for the harvesting of the rain water, restructured the school dais, installed new electrical equipments, repaired the doors & windows, painted the entire school building, repaired the damaged flooring, and cleaned the school premises and planted trees. Besides, the team distributed Braille slates, talking watches, carom boards, special cricket gear, and blanket for the students.
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much – Helen Keller, who is the first deaf-blind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree. She altered our perception of the disabled, and remapped the boundaries of sight and sense.
Let us commend the Volunteers for their concern and commitment towards community service!
Highlights of the GVD:
- Renovated the school-stage for conducting programmes
- Distributed Braille slates and blankets to each student
- Distributed talking watches for the higher classes
- Provided chairs to the school office
- Gifted some sports material to the school
- Done electrical-work on the school-building
- Repaired the damaged flooring
- White-washed the entire school-building
- Repaired and painted doors and windows
- Cleaned the school premises and planted trees
- Conducted quiz competition and games for the students, and distributed gifts to the winners